Traveling far from your home will make you miss all the comforts you’ve come to love so much. As you pack, you’ll want to take all the things that can bring that comfort along with you. But alas, over packing can not only take a toll on your body by lugging it around, but it will also put a big dent in your wallet. Perhaps you’ll need some tips for not over packing!
Check More Posts on Packing and Packing Cubes
- Best Packing Cubes Review
- How to Organize Your Closet Using Packing Cubes
- How Packing Cubes Can Be Used Outside of the Suitcase
- How to Find the Right Packing Cubes for Your Suitcase
- How Packing Cubes Can Help You Stay Sane While You Travel
- How to Use Packing Cubes to Help Save Your Valuables
There are a few ways you can avoid the dreaded over packing dilemma. Knowing what you’ll need for your destination, having an organized plan, and using the appropriate suitcase will help you keep to the basics. Here are some helpful tricks and tips to avoid over packing.
Tips For Not Over Packing – Who, What, When, Where, Why?
Get all the details for your trip ahead of time. Know what activities you’ll be doing, what the weather will be like while you’re there, and whether or not you can keep all of your things stationary (I.E. at the same hotel). This will help TREMENDOUSLY.
The weather reports for your destination will help you know WHAT you’ll need to pack. If you’re taking a winter holiday, you’ll need to know whether or not you’ll need a big coat and gloves, etc. This will also be helpful so you will know what NOT to bring. If you’re headed to the Bahamas, you’re not going to pack a parka!
Know where you’re staying and if you’ll have laundry services available. If you’ve booked accommodations at a hotel or an Airbnb, double check how much laundry is, or if you can even use it. That way if you’re gone for more than a few days, you can always do a load of laundry while you’re on your trip. One of the EASIEST tips for not over packing.
Once you know your travel destination and your itinerary, you can start to make a packing list. Your packing list should include basic items that you will need on your trip, plus weather-appropriate clothing. Purchasing organizational tools to help you maximize your packing skills will also be helpful.
Find a set of packing cubes that have more than one size, and do your research to find the best brand for what you’ll need. To help yourself not over pack, try to take the smallest suitcase possible. This will not only help you save money on a checked bag, but it will ensure that you will ONLY pack the necessities. Use your packing cubes to help sort your clothes, your toiletries, and make your suitcase as efficient as possible.
Here’s a sample packing list. Just a very basic break down of what will be needed. This will be for a seven-day journey, where the weather will be very cold, and you’re staying where there is laundry available.
- Make sure you pack what you’ll need for your hygiene routine. Skin care, hair care, etc. Just be positive you’ve got travel size containers, or travel size samples.
- Pajamas for three nights, outfits for four days, three undershirts, scarf, hat, gloves, coat. Underwear for four days. Since you have clothing for three nights and four days, on day four you can clean all of your outfits you have worn, and wear them again for the next three days. This will save you so much ROOM.
- This category is primarily for your sanity while you travel. Chargers, a good book, tablets, etc. You can also keep it simple here as well. If you can play games, read a book and watch movies all on the same devices, don’t waste your time packing anything else.
This is a super simplistic packing list. You can put together a more detailed packing list of your own to make sure you don’t forget ANYTHING. You can even use one of your packing cubes for dirty laundry. This way all your clothes stay organized, even the dirty ones!
Don’t Over Do It
Preventing over packing CAN be done! Simply knowing how you’ll be spending your time at your destination, the destination’s weather, and keeping yourself organized will certainly help. Just follow these tips for not over packing and you’ll be set! Don’t lug around a suitcase filled with clothes you aren’t going to wear!
Underpacking can also happen if you’re not careful. Thank goodness for stores where you can buy toiletries, or extra clothes if you forget to pack underwear! With practice, you’ll be the Goldilocks of packing, not too much, not too little, but just right. All you have to do is follow these simple tricks, and you’ll keep your suitcase packed with just the necessities!
Helpful Tips for Not Over Packing on Your Next Trip!
Follow these tips and you’ll find yourself with just the right amount of luggage on your next holiday! Stay organize, don’t over do it, and you’ll be a packing pro in no time!